Braised chicken with red grapes, bacon and sage.
Braised chicken with red grapes, bacon and sage
Special enough for easy weekend entertaining, but also great for a weeknight dinner, this chicken dish is a real winner.
For 6 persons
8 bone-in chicken thighs (with or without skin, your choice)
1⁄4 cup plain flour
6 slices rindless bacon, cut into large chunks
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sage leaves
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup liquid chicken broth
1-2 bunches (about 3 cups) red grapes, washed
* Dinner Sorted: Three Easy Meals to Beat the Daily Dinner Blues
* Recipe: Mac ‘n’ Cheese Bacon with Hidden Vegetables – My Food Bag
* Recipes: Seafood Chowder, Oatmeal Crumble and Caramelized Potatoes
* Recipes: coq au cidre and roasted rutabaga from Sam Mannering
- Heat the oven to 190C. Rub the chicken pieces with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with flour to coat them lightly.
- Heat a little oil in a large heatproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the bacon, onion and sage and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the vinegars and broth, bring to a boil, then return the chicken to the pan.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the raisins, then cook for another 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.