Likewise, this dish is influenced by southern Spanish cuisine which uses spices and herbs from Morocco.
The two countries have been exchanging products, methods and ideas for centuries.
This lightly spiced, braised chicken dish has a thin but flavorful sauce, mopped up with steamed couscous. Use chicken thighs with the skin on. They become tender and flavor the sauce as they braise.
Tablespoon of sherry vinegar
1 finely chopped red pepper
Tomato Paste Dessert Spoon
6 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 long red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1. Heat a frying pan, adding a tablespoon of olive oil, then the chicken thighs, brown them on all sides.
2. Add the sherry vinegar to deglaze the pan.
3. Heat a casserole dish and add the rest of the olive oil – add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 min.
4. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and red pepper cook for 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the white wine and chicken broth, bring to a boil and add the chicken thighs.
6. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 150c, gas 3 for 1h30.
7. Taste, season and serve with the couscous
A message from the editor, Mark Waldron