- Rinse the lentils under running cold water. Drain and reserve.
- Press the cloves into the onion. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, celery and garlic then cook without browning. Add the carrot and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, the bouquet garni and 600 ml of vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 10 minutes then add the sausages. Simmer until the lentils are cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the shallot vinaigrette. Put the shallots and the red wine vinegar in a blender. Mix until the shallots are broken down, then add the oil and emulsify. Put aside.
- If the liquid is too low from cooking the lentils, add more vegetable broth if desired, then bring to a boil.
- Remove the bouquet garni, onion and sausages. Cut the sausages into four pieces each.
- Mix the shallot vinaigrette with the lentils. Divide the lentils among four bowls, place the sausages on the lentils and serve with mustard (optional).
• Morteau sausages (Saucisse de Morteau) are smoked (but not cooked) pork sausages from the Franche-Comté region.
Taste France at home with Guillaume Brahimi on Dish of the Tour, every evening during each live stage of the Tour de France broadcast exclusively on SBS. For broadcast times go to sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral